Wednesday 3 June 2015

Writing a Book: Author Branding

I read a lot of articles about this before I found one that made sense:

Your best brand is your name. Perhaps with hindsight I should have chosen something more distinctive or catchy --  Doc Burrows (yes I have a PhD), or Doctor David, or David J Burrows. Changing to a pen name may be useful if your name is taken on Facebook or Twitter. For me, unfortunately, on Twitter David Burrows was taken so I had to settle with DavidJBurrows which dilutes my brand. Again, this is where a pen name may be worth considering. Anyone tried that and found a problem?

Clearly your name should be linked to your genre, so on Google David Burrows Fantasy gets me a high hit rate. David Burrows Author also does quite well. I also make it some way into Fantasy Author as a Search Phrase.

Another brand is your title. Mine is Prophecy of the Kings as I have a trilogy. But, each book title is part of your brand.

The trick is then marketing and getting your name out there sufficiently to get people searching for you. That's the hard part.

No comments:

Post a Comment