Tuesday 23 June 2015

Epic World War I tale - Fall of Giants by Ken Follett

Fall of Giants (The Century Trilogy, #1)Fall of Giants by Ken Follett
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I fancied an epic tale based around the First World War. This was a good read, but a little too much like Downton Abbey in my mind. Ken may have written this book first (I didn't check the date), but I was rather hoping for a tale of the trenches. This was interesting and swept across UK/USA/Russia/Germany, following many different characters. It was a little too much of a history book and all the major events were covered wit one of the characters being present. I liked that the UK contribution was from a Welsh perspective and a mining community, without it being about tunneling under the trenches which is what I was anticipating. There was some coverage of the trenches but that was a small aspect. Overall, an interesting read and very good characterisation with folk at all the appropriate levels to follow key incidents. Downside, a little too much of a diary of events.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment