Saturday 4 October 2014

Apprentice Swordceror by Chris Holloway

Apprentice Swordceror (Blademage Saga, #1)Apprentice Swordceror by Chris Hollaway
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I read this after reading The Heresy Within and there was considerable contrast between the two books both in style and story. While Heresy Within was action packed and gritty, with a blunt writing style, Apprentice Swordceror was a much simpler style and easier to read. Some folk reviewing it have said it's standard fantasy, but I found it to be very easy to read and quietly enjoyable. There are Orcs, but their introduction heralded and interesting type of creature and threat. Magic is different to other books I've read and perhaps more similar to that found in fantasy games such as Diablo, with scrolls and staffs of a particular magic type.

The main character develops well with an interesting mix of magic and swordsmanship. Apparently the two shouldn't go together and the author leaves you guessing why this might be and promises a tale for the future.The tale holds a lot of promise and I enjoyed the first book and will certainly read the next.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment