Friday 1 September 2017

Dunstan by Conn Iggulden

DunstanDunstan by Conn Iggulden
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I am a fan of Conn Iggulden, but Dunstan was not up to his usual standards in my opinion. What he gets right is the sense of the period and he has a great ability to do this. You feel transported to the 10th C. This is an amazing period in history with kings coming and going at an alarming rate. The one consistency is Dunstan who starts life in an abbey and through an ability in many skill-sets manages to rise through the clergy. The tale is mainly believable with some action, but focusing more on political intrigue.

What I didn't like was Dunstan himself. Arrogant characters sometimes work but on this occasion he grated. I didn't really care for Dunstan, so felt that I wasn't sufficiently engaged with the character to care whether he lived or not.

It was an enjoyable tale, but I didn't feel compelled to get the next one in the series.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment