Wednesday 2 September 2015

Edgar Rice Burroughs - Highly Imaginative Fantasy Books



What an imagination he had. 140 years old today, I believe.

His books were amazing in their day and surprisingly easy to read today. I loved the Mars series and his imagination knew no bounds. There was usually a theme, guy meets girl, girl gets abducted and guy spends novel trying to rescue her. However, there was some seriously good imagination in all his books. Tree creatures with blood sucking hands, giant white apes, creatures morphed form separate head and a body creatures.

Tarzan was a great creation and spawned many, many films. Yet the book is far better than any film and so far the film industry has failed to recreate the magic of the books.

Of the recent John Carter film...one reviewer said that he'd seen it all before and there was nothing new. Edgar R Burroughs wrote this book in the early 1900s, well before modern fantasy authors were  even born. ERB must have had a hand in the birth of the fantasy genre. To say his work had nothing new is a travesty and lacks understanding of these epic books.

Great books...and so many to chose from.

3 comments:

  1. I loved these books when I was growing up...both the ones set in the jungle and the ones set on an entirely different world. That reviewer has no understanding of how momentous these stories were for the genre!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment ELF. i, too, read them in my youth although didn't read Tarzan until much later. I loved them all. What a great author. I agree fully how momentous these were for the genre and I was so disappointed to read a review for the John Carter film where the reviewer said...seen it all before.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the comment ELF. i, too, read them in my youth although didn't read Tarzan until much later. I loved them all. What a great author. I agree fully how momentous these were for the genre and I was so disappointed to read a review for the John Carter film where the reviewer said...seen it all before.

      Delete