Monday 25 May 2015

Book Review - Ship of Rome by John Stack

Ship of Rome (Masters of the Sea, #1)Ship of Rome by John Stack
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Brilliant start, full of action and top notch Roman galley description and skirmish at the beginning. It's interesting to read a book about Roman ships and warfare at sea, having read mainly land-based tales in teh past. Clearly a very vital conflict.

Scipio's (Roman senator) attitude towards the plebs is also spot on and really brings home the likely attitude of the well off versus the common Roman. The tale does drift off key a little in the middle - possibly because I knew the twist coming up and I was rushing to get to that. That's the one difficulty with historical fiction, unfortunately. However, it's well written and the characters are very good. I definitely will look out for the next book.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment