Friday 3 February 2012

Reading suggestions

Here are my reading suggestions for science fantasy books:

1. J R R Tolkien. This has to be top of my reading suggestions. Lord of the Rings is brilliant and I especially liked the Silmarillion and Forgotten Tales, and the tale of Turin Turambar. Really looking forward to The Hobbit.
2. Ian Irvine - Nish, a cracking character who first appears in The Geomancer, The Well of Echoes Novels. Ian creates several really good characters. A master of creation!
3. Terry Goodkind. The Sword of Truth series are cracking reads. No one character leaps out though. I found the series a struggle after the Temple of the Winds.
4. Weiss and Hickmann - Raistlin is my favourite character and the Twins novels my favourite series.
5. J K Rowling - Harry Potter books. Many really good characters! Luna Lovegrove has to be high on the list!
6. David Gemmell - Druss is my favourite in the Legend of Druss.
7. Robin Hobb and the Farseer and Tawny Man Trilogies
8. Michael Moorcock - He has written many good books, my favourite character is Elric
9. Joe Abercrombe - The Blade Itself and in particular Glokta. One of the best characters for a while.
10. Brent Weeks - Beyond the Shadows, favourite character has to be Kylar.
11. Stan Nicholls, Orcs. Quite a brutal tale.
12. Raymond Feist and Magician and Talon of the Silver Hawk.
13. James Clemens - The Wit'ch Fire series
14. Christopher Paolini, Eragon, but I didn't enjoy later books as much

Let me know your thoughts on my list. Have I missed anyone. There are many authors I haven't read yet so please add your reading suggestions.

As well as fantasy I love to read historical fiction. My favourite authors are Bernard Cornwell and Simon Scarrow. I've recently read Glyn Iliffe and I must get some of his other books. It was the Armour of Achilles that I read. A really entertaining book.

In Science Fiction I enjoyed Dune and Battle Earth, both of which stand out from the crowd.

I like reading on trains most, but have also read whilst at airports. There's something comforting being on a train and reading.

Check out my library collection and reviews on Goodreads and Librarything.
My new novel Drachar's Demons is out. Give it a try. It's a good introduction to Prophecy of the Kings and is a stand alone novel.

Good reading

David

No comments:

Post a Comment